Dr. Thibaut Morillon, Assistant Professor of Finance
10 hours (1.0 CEUs)
Self-paced; 10 hours
Financial technology topics, including blockchain and cryptocurrencies, seem to be in every news cycle. There is a lot of "noise" in this developing industry, as well as a lot of chaos. But will the future of this technology prove to be as promising as many are hoping?
This course aims to unpack the hype behind the “crypto craze” utilizing a measured, thoughtful, and conservative approach. Diving into what makes blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies so intriguing, this course aims to equip learners with the knowledge they need to jump start their crypto journey by getting a good understanding of the big picture of the industry. Led by Dr. Thibaut Morillon, Assistant Professor of Finance at Elon University and a leading scholar in the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry, you’ll learn what blockchains and cryptocurrencies are, how they can be used, and where the future of this technology is headed.
Disclaimer: Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies are risky markets due their volatility and are speculative in nature. This course is meant for educational purposes and should not be intended for financial advice.
- Introduction to Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies: Introduction and definition; what makes blockchain technology interesting?; the Cryptocurrency landscape
- Investing in Cryptomarkets: What do cryptomarkets look like? Introduction and opening a Coinbase account; investment options in cryptomarkets
- Introduction to Bitcoin: Looking under the hood; How to send Bitcoin
- Bitcoin properties: Uniqueness in the cryptocurrency market; fixed vs. limited supply; Bitcoin as a payment system, speculative asset, diversification tool
- Smart contracts and Ethereum: Beyond Bitcoin; Introduction to Web 3.0; interactions with applications built on top of blockchain (DApp)
- Layer 1 ecosystems: Ethereum strengths and challenges; scalability, security, decentralization
- Non-fungible tokens (NFTs): More than a picture; unpacking the definition, technology, and progress
- Metaverse: Just a vague buzzword?; Its role with NFTs
- What happened to FTX?: Lessons learned and moving forward
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Understand blockchain technology and its relationship is with cryptocurrencies.
- Learn the basics of investing in cryptomarkets, learn best practices, and understand how cryptomarkets differs from traditional financial markets.
- Discover Bitcoin and understand why its properties make it one of the most intriguing financial assets.
- Understand smart contract platforms and its potential role to propel the crypto industry forward.
- Discover the projects and ecosystems in the crypto world, ranging from decentralized exchanges, to NFTs, and the Metaverse.
Dr. Thibaut Morillon is an Assistant Professor of Finance in Elon University’s Love School of Business. His teaching and research expertise include corporate finance, real estate, and financial technology, with recent publications in Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, The Financial Review, The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Managerial Finance, and Studies of Economics in Finance. He enjoys learning more about the budding world of blockchain and cryptocurrencies and works to translate these often-confusing financial technology concepts to adult learners to inform and utilize in their unique financial situations.