Randy Piland, Senior Lecturer, Communication Design
8 hours (0.8 CEUs)
October 20, 25, 27, November 1
6:00 pm-8:00 pm
In-person, Elon University
You've been asked what's the best camera and found the answer to be "the one you have with you." A mobile phone has become the standard for the greater population to use as their everyday camera. It's been said that the phone itself hasn't improved much, but the camera part of it has improved greatly with each new model.How you approach taking these photos vary according to your knowledge and understanding of what makes a photograph more than just a snapshot.
This course will address a broad spectrum of how to get well-composed and properly exposed photos on your phone so you can share, post or collect your visual work. We'll look at the techniques to better understand lighting, angle of view, perspective, timing and expression, everyday or while traveling, or while taking those still shots to sell your favorite item on Facebook, eBay or Etsy.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Understand the basic principles of professional-looking photography, including composition, light, and color
- Work one-on-one with Professor Piland and in small groups to improve their photo techniques
- Edit professional-looking photos from the palm of your hand
- Deconstruct photos with a critical eye for light, composition, and shooting techniques
- Receive feedback on photos taken and continually iterate to advance photography skills
- Develop a professional portfolio of photos to share
Randy Piland, Senior Lecturer in Communication Design, teaches Photojournalism, Multimedia Journalism, Publication Design and Web & Mobile Publishing and has been on faculty in Elon's School of Communications for the past 16 years. In his 30-year career as a photojournalist he has worked at four newspapers in three states as well as serving eight years as an Army photojournalist. Piland has traveled extensively to more than 25 countries and 49 states. His most recent academic trip was to Matanzas, Cuba.