Dr. Brian Nienhaus, Associate Professor of Business Communication
8 hours (0.8 CEUs)
January 24, 26, 31; February 2
6:00-8:00 pm ET
In-person, Koury Business Center room 302, Elon University
Elon employee? Click to secure free registration
To succeed in business settings, it is essential to be an effective communicator. Effective business communication is not just writing and speaking. It is focusing on one’s readers and taking care of one’s audiences. You can’t have your head full of theories and buzzwords when you do these things, so we will focus on using simple, yet powerful, persuasive strategies and critical thinking tools that can be applied to inspire confidence in your own organizational setting.
- Session 1: Organizations and communication concepts and models
- Session 2: Delivering good and bad news. Introduction to problem-solving
- Session 3: Best practices for speaking in professional settings, simulated meeting scenario
- Session 4: Adding to your critical thinking tool belt, wrap-up
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Apply strategies and techniques to think critically, effectively, and persuasively.
- Recognize the difference between ineffective and effective business writing.
- Consider that taking care of one’s audience may be key to effective speaking.
Dr. Brian Nienhaus is an Associate Professor of Business Communication in Elon University’s Love School of Business. Brian worked in corporate education and the music industry before earning his Ph.D. in Mass Communication from the University of Michigan. A professor at Elon since 1999, Brian has taught a variety of communication courses, including business and managerial communication in the MBA program, communication theory and research, mass communication, and interpersonal communication.