John Wimmer, Lecturer in Management Information Systems
6 hours (0.8 CEUs)
November 1, 6, 8
7:00 pm-9:00 pm ET
Note: As a workshop covering some more advanced Excel concepts, a basic understanding of Excel is expected of students taking this workshop as the basics of Excel will not be covered. Students should have skills such as the following before taking this workshop:
- Management of worksheets and workbooks
- Writing of basic formulas and functions
- Creation of basic charts and visualizations
- Creation and management of basic tables including sorting/filtering of data within tables
- Conditional Formatting
If a perspective student does not have these skills, they should consider taking the Intro to Microsoft Excel Certification: Exam Prep & Voucher either instead of or before taking this workshop.
Many people have either been formally taught Excel basics or have learned how to use this tool via real world experience. However, many of those same Excel users have not progressed past being a novice/basic user of the tool. In this workshop, you would learn some advanced techniques in Excel to improve your abilities on using the product and allow you to leverage its abilities to a higher degree. While Excel has more advanced features than can be covered in a single workshop, we will focus on some of the concepts covered when taking the Microsoft Excel Expert Certification Exam. While this exam is not given in this workshop, the instructor is willing to work with you after the workshop to proctor this exam if you choose to pursue it on your own.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Sort/Filter Data which is not located in basic tables
- Create/Manage Subtotals
- Create/manage/update PivotTables and PivotCharts to summarize data
- Learn how to create Input/Output Areas in Excel
- Using Input/Output Areas, learn five separate What-If Analysis techniques (One Variable Data Tables, Two Variable Data Tables, Goal Seek, Scenario Manager and Solver)
- Nested Logic Functions (such as Nested IF statements, Nested IF/AND/OR Statements, Nested INDEX/MATCH statements)
- Advanced Date Functions (such as Yearfrac, Networkdays, etc.)
- Advanced Logic Functions (such as SUMIF, SUMIFS, AVERAGEIF,etc.)
About the Instructor
John Wimmer is a Lecturer in Management Information Systems at the Martha and Spencer Love School of Business at Elon University. He brings years of experience as an IT leader to Elon NEXT serving as Chief Information Officer for 13 years at Xanterra Parks & Resorts. He has also worked as a senior executive at companies like MICROS Systems, Kiawah Island Resort, The Homestead Resort and Centra Health.