Rochelle Ford, Dean and Professor, School of Communications
3 hours (0.3 CEU)
September 22 and 24
Zoom Synchronous Meetings
Every leader in an organization helps it meet its mission and achieve its vision. Most leaders do not approach their roles attempting to offend their teams or exclude people in order to help the organization succeed. Yet, many are not very intentional about making people within the organization feel included and welcomed. Ideally every organization will make people feel that they can bring their whole selves to the table. This session will help leaders to improve their leadership skills through understanding of basic concepts of diversity, equity and inclusion. The session will help them reflect on their organization’s brands and reputation and how a reputation can be enhanced through a diversity, equity and inclusion lens. Additionally, participants will learn ways to help improve organizational operations and their behaviors to help their organizations succeed in relationship to diversity, equity and inclusion.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Define diversity, equity, inclusion, racism, bias, microaggressions, brand, corporate character, reputation, mission and vision.
- Describe elements of their own identity and your own bias
- Importance of empathy and active listening
- Describe strategies that can help organizations structurally get better
- Understand how to handle microaggressions
Three competencies you will gain:
- Define key terms important to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Describe elements of their own identity and bias
- Identify concrete ways to enhance inclusion
Tuesday, Sept. 22
- Who am I as a leader?
- Define diversity and identify your own identities
- Leadership role in meeting organization’s mission and vision
- Define characteristics of brand/reputation (character)
- What role does equity, inclusion have to do with organization mission and vision
- .How do racism, bias and microaggressions hurt your ability to lead, meet your organizations mission and achieve its vision?
- Where can I learn about these challenges and opportunities?
- How can showing empathy help achieve inclusion?
- How can active listening help achieve inclusion?
- How do address microaggression?
- How can I help change the organization to be more inclusive and equitable?
- Where can I learn more?